Boars ‘n Berries Saskatoon Berry Scones
POSTED IN For Consumers ON 6/4/2013
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 eggs plus 1 yolk , lightly beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen Saskatoons
1/4 cup sugar for topping
1 egg white for topping, separate in a small bowl
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, grease or parchment line 2 baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 c sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs (saving one white), oil and buttermilk.
4. Add the wet to the dry all at once and stir in just until blended. Fold in berries and add a little more buttermilk if the batter is dry or very stiff.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pans making 8 to 10 servings. Brush each scone with a little of the reserved egg white and sprinkle with sugar
6. Bake 15-20 minutes until nice and golden and fairly firm to the touch. Cool 5 minutes on pan before serving.
This recipe was created by Chef Shona Pearson, Brown Dog Cafe, Vancouver, BC