POSTED IN For Consumers ON 6/24/2013
Ross Vallad anounced today that Vallads Saskatoon Berry Farm, of Kalkaska, MI, will have You Pick hours for saskatoon berries starting on Saturday, July 13th. Hours are 9 AM – 7 PM on Saturdays and Sundays.
Contact Vallads in advance of your trip to assure an adequate supply of ripe berries.
For Directions or contact information, go to: http://saskatoonberryinstitute.org/location/vallads-saskatoon-berry-farm/
POSTED IN For Growers ON 6/18/2013
This spring (2013) the Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development Publication Office issued the Saskatoon Berry Production Manual. Growers may be interested in this resource for plant care tips. You can find an expanded description and ordering instructions at: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex14362
POSTED IN For Consumers ON 6/12/2013
Sometimes you can find wild saskatoons in the wild. Sometimes you can find them downtown.
This video shows how you might find saskatoons in urban landscapes.
If you can’t find any, check out our Directory tab to learn about You Pick and farm market options near you.
POSTED IN For Consumers ON 6/4/2013
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
2 eggs plus 1 yolk , lightly beaten
1/3 cup canola oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen Saskatoons
1/4 cup sugar for topping
1 egg white for topping, separate in a small bowl
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, grease or parchment line 2 baking sheets.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 c sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs (saving one white), oil and buttermilk.
4. Add the wet to the dry all at once and stir in just until blended. Fold in berries and add a little more buttermilk if the batter is dry or very stiff.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pans making 8 to 10 servings. Brush each scone with a little of the reserved egg white and sprinkle with sugar
6. Bake 15-20 minutes until nice and golden and fairly firm to the touch. Cool 5 minutes on pan before serving.
This recipe was created by Chef Shona Pearson, Brown Dog Cafe, Vancouver, BC
POSTED IN For Consumers, For Members ON 6/3/2013
Here’s a note for members –
When your crop is near ready to pick, and you would like consumers to know that, please send us an update. If you will have You Pick, please include the hours. We would like to keep consumers informed of options and information.
Wishing you all a great season!